Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Personalized Infinity Scarf Tutorial for Child or Adult


This infinity scarf is meant for a child, but I have also included measurements for an adult sized as well.  It is super simple to make and would be great for a quick handmade gift.  Adding the initial or monogram is optional and I have included a picture of one I made without it at the bottom.  Let's get to it...this is supposed to be quick remember!



Supplies Needed

  • 1.5 yards of your favorite knit. Medium to light weight work best.  (for an adult, buy 2 yards)
  • embroidery floss in contrasting color and needle
  • water soluble marker or chalk or a pencil or ... you get the point
  • sewing machine or serger
  • pins ... if you like to pin...I don't (I am lazy) so I usually skip this part
  • thread and needle 
Cut your fabric to 12" x 1.5 yards (you will have enough fabric left over to make at least 2 more)
For Adult size, cut fabric 44" x 2 yards and follow the same instructions
Then fold in half, just like the photo.

Draw an initial onto your fabric (skip this part if you don't want to personalize it).  Notice I am drawing roughly 6.5 inches down from the folded edge.  Be sure to put something under that top layer so your marking tool doesn't bleed through.

CONFESSION: I am terrible at drawing letters, so I just found an "s" I liked on google, and put my phone under the top layer and traced it from the screen.  Pretty cool, huh?

Upclose of my finished "S"
Now hand embroider your initial using your preferred  hand embroidery stitch with your embroidery floss and needle. You can use an embroidery hoop if you like (I do) but it is not necessary. You can also use an embroidery machine if you have one, but personally I like the hand stitched look.  
Here is a really fun quick tutorial for hand embroidery I found on youtube.

Here is my finished "S" clearly not my best hand embroidery, but who cares...it's handmade!

Now fold your fabric right sides together the long way and pin (if you want to).

Use a zig zag stitch  to sew together.  You can also serge this if you have a serger.

You should end up with a tube like this.

Start turning the tube right side out, follow the seam as your guide.  Pin the two "tube" openings right side together.  Be sure to line up the seams. 

Zig zag or serge around leaving a gap to be able to pull the scarf right side out.  

Pull the scarf right side out and sew the opening closed.  DONE!


Throw on your favorite girl (or adult) and brag about how you made it! I told you it was simple.  It would probably take you 15 minutes or less if you didn't do the initial, like the one pictured here.  I plan on giving these as class gifts to my daughters class for Christmas. I think it would even look smart on a little boy...think black fabric and a red or grey initial.  LOVE IT! ~Ellie

Don't forget to like Hector's Granddaughter on Facebook!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute! Haha.. I smiled when I read your confession, because when I saw the embroidered letter, I said “wow”. She is good in lettering, but then, when I read your confession, you used a technique. And it is a good technique :D .. Infinity scarf can be worn by men or women of all ages, and you can make scarf based on the character you want to give it. Thanks for the sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this fabulous design . I made some geometric heart cards for my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing, I am crazy about this blog and it works. Really its so good and i am very thankful to you. In very informative and useful for me. Thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete